Tuesday, March 24, 2009

DeSoto students to honor teen who lost cancer battle

SOUTHAVEN — Some DeSoto Central High students are hoping to flood the halls of their school with pink today.

They will wear the color, and observe a moment of silence, as tribute to a 17-year-old who recently lost her long battle against leukemia.

Elizabeth “Lizzie” Umberger died Saturday at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, leaving behind a sister, two brothers and her father and wife, Michael and Kathy.

She was a junior, choir member and office worker at the Southaven school who teacher Stephanie Scudder said couldn’t help but make an impression.

“Lizzie touched my life like no other student ever has,” she said. “There were times when I would go to tutor her at what should have been some of her toughest moments, but instead, Lizzie would be doing things that kept me laughing. Other times I would go to her house carrying my own heavy loads and leave feeling so uplifted wondering how she made that happen. I tutored Lizzie in her lessons for school, but she tutored me in lessons for life. I love her very much and will miss her terribly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment